Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Setback for Separatists

I'm not entirely sure why, but the idea of our Neighbor to the North splitting up amuses and fascinates me.

But it apparently won't happen soon. Betsy Newmark points to this BBC article about recent elections. For us non-Canadians, the fallout is that Canada remains and will remain in one piece.

Which is for the best, really. Still, if Quebec seceded, that might inspire other provinces to think hard about doing the same, and maybe some of the would want to join the U.S. Probably not, but it'd be fun to watch, and there's little chance of serious violence erupting.

And that's kind of what I live for-- interest without danger. (Oh, and I suppose it's roughly equally concievable that Oregon or Maine or some other state would consider seceding from the Union and joining Canada. Why, I don't know, but whatever.)

No comments: